Sunday 28 December 2014

Punjabis


I am an admirer of Punjabis.

There are some persons who say that Punjabis are selfish ( matlabi ) people. I do not agree with them, and for two reasons, one theoretical, and the other borne out of my own experience.

 The theoretical reason is that at a very early age I came across the writings of my teacher, the French thinker Rousseau, whose humble disciple I have remained always. Rousseau taught me that 99% of all people are good by nature ( though some of them may be temporarily corrupted by some wicked people ). This has avoided me from the pitfalls many people succumb to of stereo typing people. So , theoretically I cannot stereotype any group of people as bad.

 Secondly,my own experience has led me to the conclusion that 99% Punjabis are good by nature. They are a hard working people, and like to live well. I may give a few examples.

1. A Punjabi friend of mine from Allahabad told me about himself. His family had to migrate from Pakistani Punjab at the time of Partition in 1947, where many of his family members were killed. He told me that when his parents came from Pakistani Punjab they had lost everything, and came with barely their clothes on their back. My friend was one of 6 children of their parents, the eldest being a sister, and my friend being the eldest of the brothers. Their father set up a small motor machinery parts business in chowk in Allahabad, and worked very hard to support the family. The children were growing up, and when my friend's trouser or half pant became too small for him, as he had grown up,it was passed on to the next brother, and when he too grew up, it was passed on to the next, and so on. This was the hardship under which the family lived. Today, all the family members are doing well. My friend got 95% in M.Sc. mathematics in Allahabad University and joined the I.A.S. and after retirement has set up a law firm in a specialized field which is doing extremely well. All his brothers have done extremely well in life. I am sure there are many such similar stories of Punjabis.

2. Another Punjabi friend of mine from Allahabad days had a similar life. His parents had to flee from Pakistani Pakistan without anything. His father and uncle set up a small footwear shop in Civil Lines in Allahabad to support their families, and worked hard all their lives.. Today all the family members are dong well. My friend joined the I.A.S. and later resigned and set up a business as a builder near Delhi, which has done extremely well. He is very good to me, and often invites me o his parties,etc ( I rarely go to parties, but his are an exception ).

 3. My former private secretary in the Supreme Court is a Punjabi. He is so good and loyal that though I have retired fom the Supreme Court over 3 years ago, if I have any problem I have only to telephone him and he rushes to help me ( unless he has some official work ).

4. One of my best friends from my Allahabad days, who died a few years back, was a Punjabi. We used to play football and other games together. He later joined the Indian Revenue Service ( Customs and Central Excise ), and was a man of outstanding integrity. He was always very good to me.

 5. The Sikhs are Punjabis, and they are very hard workers. Many of them are good entrepreneurs. My Sikh friends are all good persons, and are very kind to me.

 So I cannot agree with people who call Punjabis matlabis

2 comments: