Friday 17 June 2016

Indians should eat grass
Foulon was a Minister in the reign of the French King Louis 16th, who when told that the people have no bread to eat reportedly said " Those rascals can eat grass "
After the fall of the Bastille on 14th July 1789, Foulon went into hiding, was caught, and then killed by the furious mob.

This is from Charles Dickens'  famous novel ' A Tale of Two Cities ' :

 " Foulon who told the starving people they might eat grass!
Foulon who told my old father that he might eat grass, when I had no bread to give him! Foulon who told my baby it might suck grass, when these breasts were dry with want!
O mother of God, this Foulon! O Heaven our suffering! Hear me, my dead baby and my withered father: I swear on my knees, on these stones, to avenge you on Foulon!
Husbands, and brothers, and young men, Give us the blood of Foulon, Give us the head of Foulon, Give us the heart of Foulon, Give us the body and soul of Foulon, Rend Foulon to pieces, and dig him into the ground, that grass may grow from him!
With these cries, numbers of the women, lashed into blind frenzy, whirled about "

They cut off Foulon's head, put it on a pike with enough grass inside it so that he may have his fill to eat, and paraded the head on the streets of Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment