Tuesday 2 June 2015

Some questions about Ramayana


I received this message on my  facbook page. The sender is a young Hindu woman. I have deleted her name :

Jun 1st, 12:02pm
Sir, today I really need your help and advice.
Sir maine  ABVP join kiya kyunki desh seva ka bhoot sawaar tha Hindutva ka naheen.

Last night I posted an update on facebook about my conversation with an extremist Hindu neighbour.
As long as someone is praising his religion it's fine but the moment he starts degrading another religion only to prove superiority of his own religion, it becomes intolerable.

I shared my opinion on Ram Rajya. In my opinion it was not ideal.
I said 3 main points:

1. May be Shri Ram was an ideal son, ruler or person but he was not an ideal husband because he asked Ma Sita to prove her purity by giving "Agni Pariksha".

2. When Sugriva challenged his brother Vali for a fight, Vali came out to meet his challenge. At that time Rama shot him from behind a tree. Was this fair ?

3. I do not think Lakshman Ji cutting nose (disrespecting) of Ravan's sister Suparnakha only because she was attracted to him, was proper.

4. Why was Shambhook killed by Rama ? Just because he was a shudra ?

In the end of my post I added a note that I expressed my opinion based on facts and my personal knowledge, I don't want to hurt anyone's religious sentiments.

Sir, don't I have write to express such opinions?

 However, since then I am continuously getting threatening calls and msgs from extremist Hindus. They called me dogla Hindu,  Musalman and even said you should use khan as your surname. My post was misinterpreted and many people wrongly spread that I was promoting love jihad. Even one guy commented on my post that parishad ki karyakrta ho isliye bachi ho koi aur hota toh shayad haath kaat dete.

Many people only to gather support of hindu extremists in student Union election threatened to file a suit against me.

I know section 66 A gives us citizen freedom to express our opinion on social network sites though we should be responsible.

I didn't criticise any religion but expressed some doubts. I don't know why Abvp is so upset? They instantly removed me from their group on whatsapp saying parishad ek vichardhara hai aur jo iss vichardhara ke viruddha hain unhe iss group mein koi jagah naheen.

For three years I worked in ABVP. I fought with everyone who said abvp is an organization of Hindu extremists, today I think there is a need to review my view point.

When I posted my update I knew many people might not agree with my opinion and it's their right.
I did not know that one facebook update expressing my opinion on idealism of Ram Rajya will suddenly change my life and people around me.
Sir, please give your valuable opinion.

6 comments:

  1. There are two divergent opinions on the question whether Rama killed Vali hiding behind a tree and shooting an arrow, both quoting from Valmiki. Can you please contact some authority on Valmiki Ramayana and enlighten me on who is correct ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. (1) Shambuka story is not in original Ramayana, it was added in medieval era.

    (2) Soorpanakha apparently wanted to attack & harm Sita, which is why Laxman acted against her

    (3) Vali was also guilty of committing gross crimes against his brother and his people.

    (4) As regards "Agni Pariksha" that has always been controversial in the Indic tradition. The concept is that "Ceasar's wife has to be beyond doubt" to set an example for the people. But yes, this was unfair to Sita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bali had a boon that the one who contests with him in a duel, half of his physical strength would go to Bali. So, technically he was invincible in a physical battle. That is why Rama had to resort to this tactic. However, this attribute is more suited to the Krishna avatar, but holding on to the principle of dharma is of paramount importance and for that, killing Bali was in lines with dharma as he unlawfully took Sugriv's wife and denied him a rightful share in the kingdom of Kishkindha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly without entering into your facts, I would like to submit that you have fundamental right of expression and those who want to curtail your right should not allowed. Secondly during the regime of Rama there was no corruption that's why it is referred to as Rama-rajya. While at present everbody from ministers to peons are corrupted, therefore your group members don't want to raise their voice because they also wanted to make their future in the same system. In our country although there's no system in the politics but politics is there in every system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstly without entering into your facts, I would like to submit that you have fundamental right of expression and those who want to curtail your right should not allowed. Secondly during the regime of Rama there was no corruption that's why it is referred to as Rama-rajya. While at present everbody from ministers to peons are corrupted, therefore your group members don't want to raise their voice because they also wanted to make their future in the same system. In our country although there's no system in the politics but politics is there in every system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firstly without entering into your facts, I would like to submit that you have fundamental right of expression and those who want to curtail your right should not allowed. Secondly during the regime of Rama there was no corruption that's why it is referred to as Rama-rajya. While at present everbody from ministers to peons are corrupted, therefore your group members don't want to raise their voice because they also wanted to make their future in the same system. In our country although there's no system in the politics but politics is there in every system.

    ReplyDelete